Tuesday, September 15, 2009

While it last (Part 3- Mt. Kinabalu Climb)


Being born and bred in Sabah, I was often asked, ‘Have you climbed Mt. Kinabalu?” For years, I had to sheepishly reply, “No. But I plan to one day.” Then, I proceed to live my mundane life, and soon, forget all about the dream to climb the tallest mountain in Southeast, Asia until one fine day, I decided, “I must climb Mt. Kinabalu and this time, I shall make no excuses.” After months of anticipating, the day finally arrived. Little did I know, that what lies ahead would be the most torturous and challenging day of my life. Normally, one would train themselves to be fit before a climb. My idea of training, was, window shopping, which, didn’t help at all. Idiot, I know. Still beating myself for it.

Anyway, let’s get to the climb, shall we. We drove up to Kinabalu Park, Kundasang. It took us about two hours from Kota Kinabalu. We checked into our lodge, went to Sabah Park Centre to pay our climbing permit fee as well as book ourselves a guide. Come evening, we went for a short briefing on the climbing and proceed to dinner afterwards. Buffet dinner was served. Sumptuous.

We had our dinner and chatted over coffee and tea afterwards before deciding to retreat to bed early that night.

Next day, our climbing adventure began. We started from Timpohon Gate at about 9.30am. Destination: Laban Rata. That my friend, will be a 6 km journey. So up we went.

Friendly Squirrel

The Potter
Up the wooden steps.


Up the rocky steps.

Oli kept telling, "Take smaller steps" How to take smaller steps when most steps were bigger ones.
And more steps. (While I did develop this immense hatred for steps during the climb, rest assured, I have now reverted to being oblivious to steps.).

Group picture! From Left-Right: Eriko, Nicholas, Stephanie, Lukas, and Yours Truly. (Oli was the cameraman)

The only picture of us climbing to Laban Rata.


On the plus side, the weather during the climb to Laban Rata was nearly perfect, except for the little drizzles when we were about to reach Laban Rata. But all was well. We finally reached Laban Rata shortly after 4pm albeit, being among the last one to reach Laban Rata. Not cool. Plan was to have an early dinner, shower, rest and sleep by 7pm because next morning climb would start at 2.30 am. I repeat, 2.30 am. Insanity. So, we did just that.

At 2.30am, after a short breakfast, thus began our grueling 2.7 km journey up to the peak.

All rocks and granites

Barely 50 metres up from where we started, I wanted to give up already. It was cold, and being at high altitude, I find it harder to breathe normally. The legs were not willing. But Oliver wouldn’t let me back out. He kept telling me, “Don’t give up. You won’t regret it.”

During the climb, I asked myself why did I will myself to embark on this climb in the first place. I huffed and I puffed, cursed and cried, all the while taking one step at a time.
We were almost near the peak, but, sadly, we missed the sunrise. Again, I wanted to give up because there wouldn’t be a point to go to the peak since we missed the sun rise, the supposedly highlight of the climb. But still, Oliver insisted we reach the peak.

And finally, we did!

The feeling I had when we reach the peak was indescribable. I was too overwhelmed by the whole thing that I couldn’t stop crying. So, Oliver pulled me aside.

He started comforting me with words that I could hardly comprehend at that time because I was just too drained out and all of a sudden he asked, “Will you marry me?” whilst holding a small opened box showing a beautiful ring. I was momentarily speechless.

Oliver said, “Say something, the photographer is waiting.” Nicholas was beside, taking shots.” So, I said “Yes.” But not before asking, “Why don’t you kneel down?” I was, by the way, trying to be funny to diffuse the awkward moment. And I guess, that’s the highlight of the climb, afterall. What is sunrise compared to this?
Thus, we began our journey down, happily but then, the steps came which turned me into a bitter, just-been-proposed-girl. Period. That’s the end of our Mt. Kinabalu climbing trip. The good part was, we made it. And you probably can figure what was the best part. And if you’re wondering, when is the big day? Well, we’ll let you know. Some day.

To overcoming many more challenges in life together.

Love,
Oli and Mel.

3 comments:

  1. i like the pics you guys took..so real n beautiful..especially the last 4 snaps..
    lovely pics..love couple..lovely proposal..lovely answer..

    congrats to the two lovebirds..
    your story (blog) is a true inspiration for me..

    christine goh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww~ Atas Gunung Kinabalu her proposed to u? So nice ooooo :D

    ReplyDelete