Monday, November 22, 2010

Cook 100: Stir Fried Japanese Tofu with Mince Beef

I made this for dinner today. Prepared the ingredients as in the picture. I didn't get the recipe from any website. Maybe a bit of cooking tips.

  • So basically, I marinated the mince beef with a spoon of chinese wine and a spoon of corn starch and leave it for 30 mins.
  • After that, I prepared the sauce; 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon of chinese wine, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, a pinch of msg (not necessary) and 4 dashes of white pepper.
  • For the base, I simply fried the egg and once cooked, I just laid it on the plate.
  • Then, I started frying the tofu which was tricky because, it's soft and you don't want to smash/break it. Once it's golden brown, you take the tofu-s out and laid it on top of the fried egg (some may call it omelette, a plain one that is)
  • For the sauce, I started by saute-ing the garlic, then put in the tiny cube-like red and green pepper and then put in the mince beef and started cooking it until it's well cooked. Added in the sauce. Then, put in the corn starch mixed with 4 tablespoon of water. Stir it and once sizzling, pour the sauce on the tofu-s and voila, you have Japanese Tofu with mince beef.


So, I was not satisfied with this dish. One, because the dish was a bit dry and another, well, I've always had my Japanese Tofu with either mince chicken or mince pork and this was the first time I had it with mince beef. I decided that this is my least favourite combination. Just don't like the distinct taste of the beef. So, that's for today's dish. Think I'm gonna lay off cooking for a day or two and opt for lighter dinner. Ta.

2 comments:

  1. It should be Cook 101..not Cook 100. 101..first semester, 1 credit hour...basically introduction to cooking.

    ReplyDelete