Monday, October 18, 2010

The wooden bench

We have a story to tell of a wooden bench. Back when we were dating in Subang Jaya, we were both students. I used to live in one of those terrace houses within walking distance to college. The house that I lived in had a ridiculous rule which was 'No boys allowed in the house'. Beyond ridiculous actually. Our landlord was quite strict about it. Once my friends who were also my housemates and i underestimated the rule and we had some boys (friends only) in, we were almost kicked out. We had to beg for forgiveness to let us stay. Lame but otherwise we won't have a place to stay that night. Anyways, back to Oliver and I dating as students. Oliver was studying in TAR College and staying in Setapak, which was train stations away from where I stayed. So, we would only meet up during weekends, Friday to Sunday. He'll come over during weekends and since we couldn't stay in, we had to go out and it's usually to the mall.  Anyways, there was this wooden bench right in front of our house. Since we were sick of the mall, we decided to sit on the wooden bench and it sort of became our dating spot. We would sit there for hours talking. Sometimes, we would just sit there quietly for a few moments and watched as cars and people passed us by. Sometimes, we'll take turns resting on each others lap. I remember us studying on that bench. Him with his Mathematics or Physics text book and me with my Marketing or Management text book. I remember one night  as we sat on that bench and held each other tight. He was leaving to Germany soon so I was crying and he made us a promise. So many things happened on that wooden bench. So many bittersweet memories.