Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Discovering Belgium- Brugge (3rd Day)

Welcome to Brugge


Brugge is beautiful. And it was only too bad that we only had a day to explore Brugge, which was barely (barely) enough. The city, nicknamed 'Venice of the North' is also under UNESCO Heritage. In fact, the whole city of Brugge is under UNESCO Heritage. That goes to show how dedicated the people in preserving the art, culture and history of what makes Brugge as it is today. Brugge, in key words; medieval (for sure), romantic, gardens, lakes, swan, museums, interesting, cathedrals, castles, elegant, brown cobbled streets, narrow alley, bridges, river canals, horse drawn carriages, lace boutiques (aplenty!), chocolate shops, people-watching, sophisticated, ambient joints and restaurents, bicycles, artistic treasures, fascinating, folk lore and so much more. I've never mentioned this in my previous entries, but I think Belgians are beautiful people. Everywhere I look, I see potential models! They also dressed up well. Trench coats, black being the popular choice. But then 'black' is timeless and classic and most importantly, slimming. :). As you can see, I got myself a red trench coat and I actually love it. Another reason why I got it was so if I ever get lost in the streets, it would be easier for Oli to spot me. Anyway, I kinda miss dressing up for winter. My trench coat, scarfs, beanies and boots are all tucked in aside now. Not sure when will be the next time I put them on. Anyways, for Brugge, I thought I'll post up more pictures to sort of narrate our journey. After all, pictures do paint a thousand words. (Okay lah, I'm just lazy, hehe). So here goes....

Breakfast. Jef left earlier to go to work.
I've been to Brugge (Bruges)

One of the smaller castles

Love Garden
Beautiful Lake

Us

Ol' Little Town

Me ;)

Candles

Altar # 1

Altar # 2

Buildings with contemporary restaurants

One of the many rivers

A blend of medieval and renaissance

Some awkward looking trees

Horse-drawn carriage 1#

Horse-drawn carriage #2

On the streets of Brugge

One of the many Lace Boutiques in Brugge

Reminds me of Christmas :)
Oli in a candy/chocolate shop


Do you see the resemblance?
Chocolates! I don't want to buy them because I won't eat them since they are so cute and it will be a waste...
I miss the streets in Brugge

Do it like the statue

Lunch.
Oli and Victorya

Waffles as promised :)

So, that's for Brugge.