Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Discovering Belgium: Antwerp (4th Day)

Fourth and last day in Belgium was spent in Antwerp. It was rainy, wet and cold when we arrived in Antwerp by train. Despite the cold, drizzles and occasionally finding ourselves lost and frustrated in amidst the city, I actually really, really miss those times in Antwerp. Us walking hand in hand in the cold, along the cemented path way, across the cobbled streets, up and down the long escalators, along the stretch of under ground tunnel, and just walking. The city itself, unlike Ghent and Brugge, is more of an urban slash high-fashion sort of city but not necessarily lacking of historical elements. It’s like a fusion between the old and new. And I don’t know if it’s me or what, but Antwerp seems more diverse in terms of its people and culture. But one thing for sure, Antwerp equals to good memories. Except for one bit when we went to this Chinese restaurant and the cashier slash waiter thought that we did not understand Chinese and he was complaining to his colleague about us just because we actually went up to him three times to order. I mean, what the heck man, we’re customer and customer equals to $$$. Some people are just plain ‘rude’.

Anyway, here are pictures of Antwerp (I just like saying ‘Ant’-‘Twerp’)

Us on our own, on a train to Antwerp


Antwerp Train Station

Just another obligatory touristy picture

With a really comical elephant statue
Some odd thingy in the middle of no where
We later walked across (above) using an underground tunnel
Long escalator #1

Long escalator #2
Oli 'Jumping' Picture
Yours Truly

Who's a better jumper? :)

Fusion of new and old

Some beautiful art print on the wall

One of the bigger room in Printing Museum

Inner courtyard, Printing Museum

Mirror Picture. Well, gotta have one. :)

Moi'
Printing during the Ol' days in Europe used to be so tedious that only the skillful can print. Nowadays, all are technologies. *Sigh*
I wished I had a home library like above.
:)
Antwerp
A castle (I'm really bad with names of a place)
The building behind me is a library.
Statues in one of the cathedrals in Antwerp
Chasing pigeons.
My favourite picture of Antwerp.
When I asked Jef if he wanted me to bring anything from my homeland, he requested for a flag. At first i thought it was an odd request. Now, I know why.
Last day @ Jef's :(
Jef played a parting song for us and he was so good. Really.

So, that rounds up our trip in Belgium. Later that day, Jef drove us to Eindhoven, Netherland where we were supposed to meet Oli's friend. But I'll write about that in the next post.
Cheers for now.