Sunday, January 16, 2011

Tales of Old Speyer


It was written that Speyer is one of the oldest cities in Germany and we were fortunate to visit Speyer on a better winter day given the nice, blue sky that greeted us that morning. Speyer (pronounced as Schpa-yer) is quite the typical quaint old city with cobbled streets and pavement with buildings and landmarks that stand the test of time. There were still remnants of snow covering the streets and pavements so it was a challenge to walk on slippery grounds.




There were miles of people walking the streets of Speyer, perhaps, to enjoy the last day of Christmas Market before they wrapped up. Speaking of the Christmas Market which I have fond memories of and actually, terribly missing it as I write, there is something quite magical about Christmas Market that just makes you all warm and fuzzy inside; maybe it’s the rows of wooden shop houses decorated colourfully with bright lights and Christmas trinkets, maybe it’s the delicious crepes with chocolate Nutella and banana, maybe it’s the Gluhwein (a type of wine), I’m not sure what it’s made of but if I was to describe the taste, I’d said it tasted like warm red wine, the sweeter kind and a bit spiced or maybe it’s just the season to be jolly.



One of the reasons we visited Speyer was its Cathedrals. Yes, not one, but we visited 3 cathedrals in Speyer. Having been to Europe twice and visited a number of Cathedrals, I was less fascinated with the ones in Speyer. But I still think they are pretty and I think Cathedrals are like wines. It gets better the older it gets.


Technik Museum Speyer- Truth be said, I was not keen when Oliver suggested we visit Technik Museum because it sounded too technical which translates to boring. I was proven wrong. Never mind the expensive entrance fee we paid (we usually skipped museums with entrance fee), but it was interesting to see automobiles, trains and jets of yesteryears. Quite fancy lots they had during the old days unlike the boring ones we have these days, artistic design wise.



So this is bits of Speyer. Again, to be honest, the highlight for me in Speyer was really the crepes and I wish I was not that concerned about my weight as to limit myself but oh well, something to look forward to next Christmas, maybe.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.daskochrezept.de/rezepte/crepes-grundrezept_115.html but I prefer rotti with kaya:-)
    Nice to hear you had a good time.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did have a good time in Speyer! I enjoyed the whole experience with Christmas Market. and i got to order my food in German too!

    ReplyDelete